The Chakra Guide for Beginners
Perhaps you know what a chakra is or you may have read about chakras. Don’t worry if you have never heard of the word Chakra. If you are not a yogi, it would not come up in your daily vocabulary. However, those who practice yoga and meditation know the importance of Chakra. The concept of chakra features tantric and yogic traditions of Hinduism and Buddhism.
According to the Hindu and yoga traditions, Chakras are the energy points in the subtle body. The subtle body, rather than the physical body, has energy channels called nadirs. For thousands of years, Chakras have been a main principle of Hindu and Buddhist traditions. Recently, since 1927, the shakta theory of seven main chakras has become popular in the West. This theory was introduced by the translation of two major Indian texts in a book titled The Serpent Power. Since then, the concept of the seven Chakras and their meanings have dominated yoga culture. Read more about each Chakra below:
Represents our foundation and feeling of being grounded.
- Location: Base of spine in tailbone area.
- Color: Red
- Emotional issues: Survival issues such as financial independence, money, and food.
- More on Root Chakra healing
Our connection and ability to accept others and new experiences.
- Location: Lower abdomen, about 2 inches below the navel and 2 inches in.
- Color: Orange
- Emotional issues: Sense of abundance, well-being, pleasure, sexuality.
- More on Sacral Chakra healing
Solar Plexus Chakra
Our ability to be confident and in-control of our lives.
- Location: Upper abdomen in the stomach area.
- Color: Yellow
- Emotional issues: Self-worth, self-confidence, self-esteem.
- More on Solar Plexus Chakra healing
Our ability to love.
- Location: Center of chest just above heart.
- Color: Green
- Emotional issues: Love, joy, inner peace.
- More on Heart Chakra healing
Our ability to communicate.
- Location: Throat.
- Color: Blue
- Emotional issues: Communication, self-expression of feelings, the truth.
- More on Throat Chakra healing
Third Eye Chakra
Our ability to focus on and see the big picture.
- Location: Forehead between the eyes. (Also called the Brow Chakra)
- Color: Indigo
- Emotional issues: Intuition, imagination, wisdom, ability to think and make decisions.
- More on Third Eye Chakra healing
The highest Chakra represents our ability to be fully connected spiritually.
- Location: The very top of the head.
- Color: Violet
- Emotional issues: Inner and outer beauty, our connection to spirituality, pure bliss.
- More on Crown Chakra healing
By focusing on each of these points, you’ll find that you’ll feel more relaxed and have a more profound sense of self. So, grab your mat and head toward your favorite studio or quiet place, and of course, don’t forget to treat yourself afterwards with your Dosha Pop!